Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Kind of Potty Training

Who is this kid?? He looks so grown up and cool!
Sigh. The monkey is growing up. That comes with many fun things...and a few not so fun things. Enter potty training here. I'll be the first to admit that I'm in no rush to potty train him. Why? Because it's just easier for ME to not have to worry about it! It's completely selfish, and I obviously know he has to get out of diapers at some point!
A couple of months ago, we tried to do it cold turkey--spent a couple of days around the house, armed with plenty of M&Ms, and let him run around naked. He did really well, and was so excited. And then Monday came. And he was petrified to even walk by his little potty. M&Ms made him shriek in terror, "I no have to tee tee!" It was awful. So we put the potty away and would try again later.
A few weeks later, he started telling me when he needed to use the potty. It was only once every few days, but it was something! He has slowly started wanting to use the potty more and more. That's great! But the thought of big boy underwear excites him so much but terrifies him even more. It's an obstacle we'll have to tackle soon. In the mean time, we're letting him guide us. Sure, it will be nice to have only 1 in diapers, but I'm not going to rush him. He will not be wearing diapers his whole life; that is a fact! So, there you have it, we're kind of potty training!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

Jessica White said...

I'm with you. I HATE the whole potty training thing...diapers are so much easier and less messy.
Honestly, it's easier for me to have 4 in diapers, than have the triplets and keep trying to take A to the potty.
Totally selfish, but there it is.