Friday, January 13, 2012

Girl Time

In the midst of our struggles, I became somewhat of a hermit. I made any and every excuse to why I couldn't go out until, finally, my friends just stopped asking. And at the time, I was perfectly okay with that. I didn't want to face the world. It was safe in my house, with my husband and our dogs and whatever movie we chose to watch that weekend. Unfortunately, once I finally got out of my funk, I looked around and didn't find many people around me. Some of my closest friends had moved on. I may still say they were my best friends, but they did not. And that was a tough pill to swallow.

I've tried, with some success, to rekindle lost friendships. Some welcomed me back with open arms. Others, well, I'm still waiting to hear when they are free. And I'm okay with that. I'm in a different chapter in my life now.

Shortly after Hampton was born, a girl that followed my blog, friended me on facebook, and we started to talk a bit. She invited me to lunch with her and a group of moms with boys all around the same age. It took a while for me to finally make one of their lunches, but I am so glad I did. I had the opportunity to make several new friends! We have lunch and playdates, and 4 of us now have our second little ones that join in on the fun! And Wednesday night, we left the little ones with our husbands and had a girls night out. Dinner, great conversation, and just a time to relax. It was a time needed (and well deserved, if I do say so myself!) by all of us, and I have my sweet friend Nicole to thank!

My high school friend Sara, also invited me to join in a Mom's Club early in my pregnancy with Colton. It's been so fun to get together with this group of growing (bellies and numbers) ladies, having some snacks and cocktails, and just talking about life!

If I could go back, I hope that I would change the way I was. But in the end, it all worked out, and I have many new friends in the same place I am now by my side.

No comments: