Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tour of L&D and Post-Partum rooms: Check!

Oh my, talk about making it REAL!! Our hospital is pretty old and is currently undergoing a makeover, and my doctor kept saying "Just make it through delivery and you'll be rewarded in the new post-partum rooms." This had me very nervous. I'm thinking that ceiling tiles are going to be falling and the floor peeling up in L&D, but it was not bad at all! The worst part was the horrible wall paper in the rooms, but as Jordan put it, "You'll have that baby out in no time in order to get away from this wallpaper!" The new PP rooms are nice, but, I mean, they are hospital rooms, so not that exciting! They do have big bathrooms, are plenty roomy, and have flat screen tvs, so not too bad!

2 surprises:
1. There is NO nursery. Baby stays with mommy at all times, but you can request that a nurse come take baby for a little while if you need a break. We don't have a problem with this, just thought it was weird! (I hear now that this is becoming more common practice. I like it, but I just had no idea!)
2. Vaginal delivery ladies stay 48 hours, C-sec ladies stay 72 hours. I thought that seemed kind of long for a vag delivery, but I'll take it! I'm sure I'll soak in that time and appreciate having nurses around to take care of us!

3 comments:

Bluebird said...

That seems strange to me, too! Our newly-remodeled hospital had a nursery. . . huh!

cejer said...

The "Mother-Baby" facility at our hospital was recently redone as well .. with Mac is hard a nursery and it provided me with 2 full nights of sleep before having to go home with the babe and not sleep for weeks .. they would bring him in for feedings it was soooo nice .. THEN with Annie NO NURSERY!! I had her and was outta there in 24 hours ... might as well be getting no sleep in my own house ..... hahaha ...

Jessica White said...

Sounds like you guys had a great tour! That does seem like a long time for vaginal deliveries....if that's our hospitals policy I'll be fighting them on it.