Thursday, May 20, 2010

Rough Night

I'm jealous of any mom whose baby had an easy time with teething because my little monkey is miserable. In turn, mommy and daddy are tired, irritable, and really clueless to what else we can do to help. :(

Last night was the worst so far. When I put his pjs on at 7:00, he had a fever of 100.5. I had given him some Tylenol at 4:30, so I couldn't give any more right then, but he got it at 8:30 with his bedtime bottle (and some teething tablets). He didn't go to sleep until almost 9:45, and tossed and turned, making pitiful noises for about an hour. I was woken up around 12:30 with a shriek from the nursery. Ok, this happened with the bottom teeth, so I did what I did then--went and scooped him up and put him in bed with us, where I thought he would be content for the rest of the night. WRONG! He slept off and on until about 3:30, when he decided he needed to crawl around and explore the bed. So, trying not to disturb my oh-so-peacefully-sleeping hubby, I grabbed the baby, went and did a quick diaper change and, after another couple of teething tablets, settled into the rocker. Hampton was so exhausted, but man did he fight going to sleep. He wiggled and squirmed and climbed up me, but I finally got him to calm down just rock. I sat and held my whimpering baby, not knowing what to do to help him feel better until he fell asleep nearly 45 minutes later. I got up oh so slowly, crept to the nursery, and gently laid him down, where he instantly popped his eyes open and let out a wail. I patted his back for a couple of minutes until he was calm again, gave him a stuffed animal to love on, and left the room saying a little prayer that God would let him just fall asleep on his own...and I didn't hear a peep out of him until about 6:30. Whew, it makes me tired just thinking about it!

And here I sit, typing one-handed, with a droopy eyed baby snuggling into my chest, desperately needing a nap. He feels pretty warm again, and he is not content unless he is being held. :( This going to be a long day. And I'm dreading the idea of doing it again tonight.

Please just poke through, tooth. Like, now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my- the teeth are killer. this too shall pass :)